At a short distance south of the city centre of Bergen we find the wooden church of Fantoft. This stave church was originally built around the middle of the twelfth century at Fortun near the eastern end of the Sogne fjord. During the seventeenth century the chancel was renewed and a tower added on the west side. In order to avoid demolition, the church was moved to Fantoft near Bergen in 1883. On that occasion it was brought back to its supposed original form with the addition of decorations after the model of Borgund stave church.
In 1992 the church was destroyed by arson, and reconstruction was completed in 1997. The interior is remarkably narrow and soaring. Outside the church stands a stone medieval cross from Tjora in Rogaland.