Only St Mary’s survives of the six medieval churches in and around Bryggen. The Romanesque churches of St Laurence and St Peter which stood close to St Mary’s vanished during the sixteenth century. Behind Bryggen’s southern section stood the churches of St Columba (disappeared in the fifteenth century), St Martin (destroyed by a fire in 1702), and St Nicholas.
St Nicholas was a Romanesque stone building with a heavy bell tower at its western front which also served as a fireguard. The church was situated parallel to Øvregaten between today’s Nikolaikirkeallmenningen and Lindebergsmauet. The oldest view of Bergen, drawn by Hieronymus Scholeus in 1581, shows the church in a ruined state. St Nicholas’s church has left no visible traces other than a street name: Nikolaikirkeallmenningen.
Further down Øvregaten, near the start of the funicular to Mount Fløyen, stood St Hallvard’s church. This Romanesque church building church was particularly frequented by German craftsmen. It was here that a pater Antonius would celebrate the first Lutheran service in Bergen in 1527. The church was demolished around 1560.
Follow Øvregaten in the same direction, which turns into Vetrlidallmenningen, turn left at Kong Oscars gate, then enter Hollendergaten on the right, follow this alley to the end until you reach Nedre Korskirkeallmenningen (c. 500 m)